Orange sauce is a traditional Taiwanese dipping sauce made from kamquat and chili. It’s popular in northern Taiwan and was mainly made by Hakka people. It has strong citrus fragrance which makes it a perfect sauce for pork and poultry.
I was so surprised to find orange sauce in a Taiwanese organic grocery store the other day. It feels almost like a twenty year reunion with a childhood friend🤣
If you don’t have any Taiwanese friend to bring you some orange sauce, you can simply ignore it or use a little bit of marmalade as a easy replacement.
Orange Sauce Chicken Roll Recipe
Yield: 2 bento
Prep time: 10 minutes (excluding marination time)
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 boneless chicken, skin on chicken thigh
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (marinade)
- 1 tablespoon cooking rice wine (marinade)
- 6-8 string beans, blanched in salt water
- 6-8 carrots, cut into the same length and thickness as string beans, blanched in salt water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoon hot water
- 1.5 teaspoon orange sauce or marmalade
- Marinate chicken thighs with soy sauce and cooking rice wine in the fridge for 20 minutes to overnight
- Place two chicken thighs together on the chopping board, skin side down.
- Place string beans and carrots on one end of the chicken thigh. Make sure that the vegetables has the same length as the chicken.
- Roll up from the side with vegetable to the other side, and secure the chicken roll with cotton strings. Tie cotton strings together if it’s too short.
- Heat the pan with medium heat and vegetable oil. Sear all sides of the chicken roll for 2-3 minutes or till golden brown.
- Add soy sauce, mirin, hot water and cover. Cook with low to medium heat for 5 minutes. Open and flip the chicken roll. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Take out the chicken roll and set. Add orange sauce and turn to high heat. Boil the sauce to desired consistency for around 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and coat the roll with the sauce.
- Let the roll cool down and slice it to 1.3 cm/0.5 inch thick.
Have fun rolling!